Wednesday, November 27, 2013

The Pilgrim

We have a foster child staying with us. She made a cute pilgrim in her daycare and named it "Rachel." Rachel???  Rachel has had a hard time adjusting to having a younger sibling.  It has only been recently that Rachel has accepted her and been kinder to her.  Rachel has become such a good big sister to her and loves to do her hair. I am so grateful because she doesn't want me to brush her hair. Anyway, I was surprised by her name choice for her pilgrim. It must be a good sign:)

I am grateful for Rachel and I am so happy that she has learned to tolerate a younger temporary sibling.

I just have to add that I am grateful for Erin Joy for sharing her room and her bunk bed. I am grateful that she has always been sensitive to her foster sister. There have been a few times (especially after a visitation with her mother) that her foster sister has been upset and Erin Joy has the right touch. I have a really sweet picture of the two of them sitting on the bed. Erin Joy was reading her a story with her arm around her.  The poor little sweetie was crying and looking at pictures of her mother in a little photo album after a visitation. She would not accept comfort from me, but Erin Joy (without being asked) sweetly sat beside her, put her arm around her shoulder, and started reading her a princess story.  The tears soon ended and both girls were enjoying the book together. It was such a tender moment. (I can't post any pictures of my foster daughter so I'll just enjoy the picture privately.)

I am so grateful we are having the experience of sharing our home with a child in need. We have learned many valuable lessons from having her in our home. It hasn't always been easy, but it has been worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment